Press Release: 05-23-2012
Below is a brief recap of the Board Meeting from May 22.
Special Recognition and Presentations
- The Board of Education presented a Resolution of Honor in recognition of former Board Member Mr. Jeff McBride. The text of the resolution is attached below.
- The Board of Education recognized Chamber of Commerce scholarship winners Angelica England and Ruben Nunez.
- The Board of Education recognized Waukegan High School students Nexel Chacon and Alden Ross for being named Student of the Year and Student of the Quarter by the Lake County Technology Campus.
- The Board of Education and Staff recognized District 60 schools that achieved 90 percent early mail-in registration. Schools that registered more than 90 percent of their students include: Little Fort Elementary School (90.4%), Waukegan High School House 6 (91%), Lyon Magnet School (92.9 %), Whittier Elementary School (93.1%), Hyde Park Elementary School (96.6%), Clarl Elementary School (97%), Washington Elementary School (98.6%) and Cooke Magnet School (99.1 %).
- Superintendent Dr. Donaldo R. Batiste recognized recent winners of the Superintendent’s Bulletin “…whatever it takes” award. Award winners included: Belkys Boller, Kathleen Swett, Krystina Briones, Katie Kay, Patricia Lopez, Pablo Arboleda and Jennifer Del Vecchio.
- The Board of Education recognized District nominees for the Illinois State Board of Education “Those Who Excel” awards. Nominees included: Katie Kay*, Student Support Personnel; Phelloneice Glover*, Educational Service Personnel; Elizabeth Gonzalez, Educational Service Personnel; Jose Millan, Educational Service Personnel; James Ross*, Community Volunteer; Jackie & Gary Cohen, Community Volunteer; Mildred Johnson, Teacher; Nancy Johnson*, Teacher; Michelle Lenczuk, Teacher; Jennifer Pociecha, Teacher; Christine Slobodnik, Teacher; Gretchen Winkler, Teacher; Jodi Zaban, Teacher; Michael Washington*, Administration; Joan Wright, Administration; Carman-Bucker BLT, Team; Cooke Magnet PTO*, Team; and Washington Elementary Literacy Leaders, Team. (Winners in each category are noted by an *)
- The Board of Education approved a contract for a new sound system in the Trapp Auditorium at a cost of $215,870.
- The Board of Education approved a service agreement with the Countryside Association/Lakeside Center.
- The Board of Education approved a contract with Twin Publications to provide co-teaching professional development at a cost of $109,000.
- The Board of Education approved a consultant service contract with Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Leadership.
- The Board of Education approved a renewal of the Waukegan High School extension program contract for two years.
- The Board of Education approved a bid for cleaning chemicals from Carol Stream-based Metro Professional Products, at a cost of $22,906.
- The Board of Education approved bids for assorted audio visual equipment from various bidders at a cost of $12,041.
- The Board of Education approved bids for assorted audio visual supplies at a cost of $3,301.
- The Board of Education approved the resignations, appointments, retirements, and leaves of 14 employees, including the appointment of Lebaron Moten as the new Director of Operations for District 60 and Brian Riegler as the new principal at Waukegan High School.
- The Board of Education approved the FY13 Preschool For All grant application.
- The Board of Education approved the Truants’ Alternative and Optional Education Program Grant from the ISBE.
- The Board of Education approved revisions to Policy 5223, Drivers Education.
- The Board of Education approved a principal evaluation tool.
- The Board of Education approved the school calendar for the 2012-2013 academic year. The school year will begin on August 20 and end on May 30. Winter Break will run from December 24 to January 7.
- The Board of Education approved annual membership renewal with the Illinois High School Association.
Capital Development Board Items
- The Board of Education approved design specifications for the “Green Package,” which includes Glen Flora, Clearview, Greenwood, Hyde Park and North Elementary Schools.
- The Board of Education reviewed policy revision to Policy #1105, Qualification of Volunteers School Assistants and Policy #1202, School Involvement in Politics.
Email Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org