Press Release: 07-25-2012
Below is a brief recap of the Board Meeting from July 24.
Special Recognition and Awards
- The Board of Education honored recent WHS graduates who were awarded Howe scholarships. Recipients included: Cinthya Barbosa, Daisy Diaquino, Kevin Garcia, Reyes Guzman and Ruben Nunez.
- Representatives from the Greater Purpose Charter Academy made a presentation highlighting some of their ideas for a Charter School in Waukegan.
- The Board of Education approved the purchase of the large National Guard Armory building on Glen Flora Avenue, at a cost of $100,000. The District plans to use the building for storage, vehicle maintenance and community events.
- The Board of Education approved a treasury management agreement with PNC bank.
- The Board of Education approved a request by St. Dismas Parish to use the Oakdale Elementary School parking lot during a 50th anniversary event.
- The Board of Education approved a bid for HVAC upgrades at WHS Brookside Campus, Lincoln Center, Little Fort Elementary and WHS Washington Campus at a cost of $78,570, with Waukegan-based McDonough Mechanical.
- The Board of Education approved a bid for carpet replacement in the Brookside Campus library with Waukegan-based Clark Interiors, at a cost of $30,550.
- The Board of Education approved a contract renewal with Lexia Leaning Systems at a cost of $23,694.
- The Board of Education approved a contract renewal with Accelerated Rehabilitation Centers at a cost of $23,600.
- The Board of Education approved a contract for instructional strategies with McRel, at a cost of $130,850.
-The Board of Education approved revisions to several policies, including: Policy #1103, Parent and Community Support Organizations; Policy #1203, Solicitation of Funds; Policy # 1204, Naming of School Facilities; Policy #1205, Use of School Equipment; Policy #4407, Victims Economic Security and Safety Act Leave; and Policy # 6010, Attendance and Excuses.
- The Board of Education approved the appointments, resignations and leaves of 23 employees, including the appointment of Mr. Steven Hejnal as the new Associate Superintendent of Human Resources and Employee Relations. Mr. Hejnal comes to District 60 from the Racine Unified School District.
- The Board of Education approved the reclassification of the Low Incidence Specialist to Low Incidence Coordinator.
- The Board of Education approved a request to close and transfer unused class funds and inactive student activity accounts. These funds would be used to create an Academic Competition Support account and to purchase a new sign at WHS Washington Campus.
Reports and Presentations
-Board member Mr. David Pfeifer announced that he accepted a job in Oregon, and will be resigning from the Board of education on July 31. Mr. Pfeifer has been a Board Member since April 2011. The Board has 45 days to appoint a replacement.
The Board of Education reviewed revisions to several polices, including: Policy #1004, FOIA Requests; Policy #1101, Parental Involvement; Policy 1102, Bilingual Parent Advisory Committee; Policy #1104, Citizens Advisory Committee; Policy #1105, Volunteers; Policy # 1301, Relations Between Other Governmental and Community Agencies and Schools; Policy # 1415, Recreation; and Policy # 3512, Maintenance and Destruction of Records.
- The Board of Education voted to retain the current policy on personal electronic devices at Waukegan High School.
- The Board of Education voted to authorize an Execution of Indemnification and Reimbursement agreements with the City of Waukegan for the homecoming bonfire and homecoming parade. The bonfire will be held on September 26 at the lakefront, and the parade will take place on September 29.
Email Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org